The Amazing Health Benefits of Yacon Syrup
We live in a pretty cool time for health and wellness. We can head to the grocery store and stock our pantries with all sorts of superfoods and medicinal roots that have only recently been discovered in different cultures around the world. We have so many yummy options for eating exactly what our body needs, it’s nuts! When it comes to sweet superfoods, one of our personal favorites is Yacon Syrup.
What is Yacon Syrup?
Yacon syrup, an extract from the perennial Yacon vegetable, is native to South America and is prized for its abundant health benefits. The root itself sort of looks like a sweet potato, while the syrup resembles molasses. The syrup is used as a gut-healthy alternative to other sweeteners. Unlike those artificial alternatives--Aspartame, Saccharin and Sucralose, which have a bad reputation for damaging gut health--Yacon syrup improves digestive health by feeding your gut bacteria the stuff it needs so you can keep being awesome.
A Little Yacon Science For You
The Yacon plant is mostly made up of fructooligosaccharides (we call it FOS), or sugars that your body can’t digest, and that’s a good thing! FOS are a form of PREbiotics, the food for all those PRObiotics in your gut. Together, PRE- and PRObiotics help you cleanse your system and boost your immunity during the digestion process. Pretty cool, right?
That’s Not All …
Yacon is a true wonder food! Check out all these health benefits you can enjoy just by eating Yacon syrup:
- It encourages good bacteria in your gut: All the good bacteria in your intestines LOVE the PREbiotic elements of FOS. Plus, Yacon is a natural mild laxative, preventing constipation and the dreaded bloat belly.
- It lowers blood pressure: Yacon has loads of potassium, which relaxes blood vessels and helps your heart pump with ease.
- It regulates blood sugar: The FOS in Yacon syrup prevents the body from absorbing simple sugars, which is very helpful for people watching their blood sugar levels.
- It boosts liver health: Because our bodies don’t absorb the simple sugars, there’s less glucose production in the liver. Since the liver is where most of our glucose is made, this means eating yacon syrup regularly can keep your liver from getting fatty.
- It keeps “bad” cholesterol down: FOS helps lower your lipid levels, which helps maintain healthy cholesterol.
How to Eat Yacon Syrup
Because Yacon syrup is a sweetener, you can use it to sweeten pretty much anything. In fact, Yacon syrup is the super sweetener in our Rowdy Bars. Plus, it gives our bars that extra PREbiotic punch. Together with the rest of these ingredients, Yacon syrup is part of our tasty, Ultra-nutritious anytime snack:
- Organic Egg White Protein
- Organic Coconut
- Organic Yacon Syrup
- Organic Tapioca Syrup
- Organic Chocolate (Organic Cocoa Mass, Organic Coconut Blossom Sugar, Organic Cocoa Butter)
- Flax Meal
Learn more about all the nutrients in Rowdy Bars at Our Bars.